Hikvision gives you the option to create multiple users (accounts) on their IP cameras, NVRs or DVR. It’s recommended that each person who uses the security system has a separate account. That way you can keep track of the actions performed on the security camera system.
Moreover, you can assign for each user different levels of permissions and privileges. For example you can allow one user to see the cameras on live view but not the option to playback or backup. By default the admin account has all the privileges including the ability to create new accounts.
In this guide you can learn how to create a new user account or operator on your Hikvision IP camera, DVR or NVR and how to manage the permissions (privileges) to a particular user.
How to create multiple Hikvision users and Enable/Disable permissions
Step 1. Type the IP address of your device on the Internet Explorer url bar. You’ll be prompted with the login screen, enter your username and password.
Step 2. Once you’re logged in, navigate to Configuration > User Management > tab “User Management” and then click “Add”.
Step 3. After you click Add, the “Add User” interface will show up on the screen as seen on the picture below.
As you can imagine, here you can create a new user account. Fill out the fields accordingly.
- Username: Username for the user account.
- Level: Select the “level” according to the functions the user will be performing.
– Guest: Guest has the default permission of local log search and remote log search.
– Operator: Operator has the default permission of local log search, remote log search, two-way audio and camera configuration.
- Admin Password: Required for the changes to take effect. You have to enter the password for the admin account (which is the master account of the security system).
- Password: This will be the password for the new user, create a strong password.
- Confirm Password: Confirm the password created for the new User.
- Permissions: Tick the checkboxes next to the permissions you want the user to perform. For example just local playback, no remote view, no log checking, etc.
When you’re done, click OK to save the settings.
Step 4. Once the user is created, the “User List” should show the newly created user. Refer to figure below.
Step 5. Login to the new user account to test out if it works correctly. Open the Internet Explorer and type the IP of the NVR/DVR or camera. When prompted with the login screen, input the new username and the password. Click “Login”.
You will be logged into the new user account.
Test out the privileges. Let’s say this account is not allowed to playback the footage. Go to the Playback section and try to playback. Normally, the user shouldn’t be able to rewind the recordings.