The error message “the device is locked” while attempting to access your Hikvision recorder remotely via your iVMS-4500 app, is an indication that there were at least 5 failed incorrect password attempts. Someone tried to access your system remotely and typed the wrong password 5 times. As a precaution, the Hikvision software will lock the device for 30 minutes. This means no remote access is possible during this time. Only local access (at the actual recorder) will be possible. If local access is not possible, the only option is to wait until the lockout is over.
However this “someone”, most of the time is not a real person. There are many reasons why your device is getting locked. In a few cases, there are network issues between your phone and the recorder and the device is not recognizing the password, even if the phone app is using the correct password. Also there are all sorts of viruses and softwares out there, that randomly scan the internet and if they find valid IPs and ports they’ll try to access the device by using the default password (many users don’t even bother to change the default password). Or someone real is trying to access your recorder, let’s say your wife is trying to access the device and she’s accidentally using an incorrect password. If you suspect something, we recommend to change the password immediately and create a stronger one.
If the issue persists after the 30 minutes lockout has expired and you are sure you are using the correct login credentials, try the following steps to solve “the device is locked” issue:
1) Wait another 30 minutes without another login attempt. This includes locally at the DVR or remotely over the network or using a mobile device. If no other login attempts happen 30 minutes after the last unsuccessful login attempt, the system will unlock the locked account.
2) Remove the power cable from back of the recorder (DVR/DNVR) and plug it back after 60 seconds.
3) Shut down the app completely then relaunch.
4) Delete the device from the app then re-add. Type the password carefully.
5) Completely uninstall the app then reinstall and re-enter your device’s settings for remote view.