The error message “missing microSD card” shows up on Flir cameras and not always means that the microSD card is missing for real. Sometimes it’s a false alarm caused by many factors. This guide shows how to fix the FLIR missing microSD card issue.
By default, the FLIR FX camera requires a microSD card (included) to save recorded video, images, and firmware update information. It does not require a microSD card for Live View, setup, and settings unrelated to recording.
Obviously, the first step is to check your FLIR FX camera and make sure that the microSD card (which comes included) has in fact not been removed.
How to fix FLIR missing microSD card error
If the microSD card has been removed, turn the camera off and replace the card. You must format a new microSD card before use.
To format the microSD card:
- Launch the FLIR FX app or FLIR Secure app on your smartphone / tablet.
- Access the camera Live View.
- Tap the Settings icon (gear image) on your smartphone, or tap Settings > Configuration on your tablet.
- Scroll down to the micro SD card and tap the Trashcan icon to format your microSD card.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure to use a good quality microSD card for your security camera. A cheap card from an unknown brand may damage your camera or may not record the footage properly. What do you need a camera for if there’s not recording?
If the microSD card has not been removed, and the camera is not detecting the card, it will need to be reinstalled.
To reinstall the microSD card:
- Power off the camera, and then close the FLIR FX app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Power the camera on for 15 seconds and then power off.
- Re-insert the microSD card and power it on.
- If the camera is still not detecting the microSD card, repeat this procedure with a different microSD card.
- If the replacement microSD card is detected, you may need to format the microSD card before use.
- If the new microSD card is not detected, contact the FLIR Technical Support for assistance with a reset and further troubleshooting.
- Additionally make sure that the phone app and the camera is updated to the latest software/firmware.