This article will explain how to fix the “Error code 17” that shows usually when you try to live view your Hikvision surveillance system or a single Hikvision IP camera.
Error code 17 shows up when you are trying to connect to a Hikvision device (IP camera, DVR, NVR) using the smartphone app iVMS-4500, or the Hikvision computer software iVMS-4200.
Usually, this error shows up randomly and suddenly, meaning without any modification of the configuration settings. Simply out of blue will display “error code 17”.
Based on HikVision’s official SDK explanation, Error Code 17 means: “NET_DVR_PARAMETER_ERROR: Parameter error. Input or output parameter in the SDK API is NULL”. In general, this “Error Code 17” means the internet connection with your CCTV system is having an issue.
The client, which is your smartphone, or computer, couldn’t communicate with the server, which is the IP Camera, or DVR, or NVR, due to a parameter error in the configuration. The recording is still working fine. You won’t lose any important video records because of this error code.
How to fix Error code 17?
Hikvision error code 17 is an error generated by a wrong IP configuration or an issue related to an incorrect name resolution.
It usually happens when the wrong IP is entered in the iVMS-4500 app or when the DNS is not configured properly. Here’s a list of suggestions on how to fix this issue:
1. Make sure the DDNS service you’re using is working properly. Don’t leave the subnet mask empty, use the Preferred DNS: 126.96.36.199 and Alternate DNS 188.8.131.52 (on the Settings > Network settings).
2. Restart (power cycle) your Hikvision NVR/DVR or IP camera. The reboot will refresh your IP address, which usually resolves the issue.
3. Sometimes this error shows up due to extra spaces in the IP address. When typing the IP address in the Hikvision iVMS-4500 phone app (or iVMS-4200 for the computer) make sure there’s no extra space in the IP address field, because that can be misinterpreted by the software.
Note in the picture above there’s an extra space after the number 457 which is causing the error code 17. Make sure to eliminate such unnecessary space.
The IP address must be continuous with numbers and dots without any spaces or other symbols. This kind of mistake is more likely to happen if you have the predictive text enabled on your smartphone. Always double-check the IP address after typing it.
4. Hikvision IP cameras and recorders (DVR, NVR) using old firmware can present issues related to the network connection. Make sure you to update your devices to the latest firmware.
5. Make sure the last version of the Hikvision iVMS-4500 smartphone app and iVMS-4200 software (for computers) is installed on your smartphone/computer.
Open up the Play Store or Apple Store and look for the app, if a new version is available you need to update yours. Moreover, for security reasons, it’s always recommended to keep your equipment up-to-date.