You need to learn how to reset an ADT alarm system in order to fix any technical issues with your alarm system. A reset is like a fresh start that automatically fixes a bunch of issues of your ADT system.
The ADT problems are pretty common, especially when there’s a power outage in the area, or when there’s a heavy storm. Sometimes even changing the battery may send the system on troubleshoot mode, or the alarm won’t even work anymore.
There’s no need to call them, waste time and money when you can reset the system easily. And that’s what will show here: the step-by-step ADT alarm reset procedure.
How to Reset ADT alarm panel
Let’s start by clarifying that not all ADT systems are the same. Obviously, they’re similar but their reset procedure depends on the make and the models. You may need to consult the user manual to get the specific instructions on how to reset your ADT alarm.
However, there are some common reset methods that you should try. Below we’ve listed a few resetting procedures accompanied by explanations.
Reset ADT alarm system after a power outage
Let’s suppose that your alarm system has been off due to a power outage in your area. Sometimes it can be off after a battery replacement.
In this scenario, you may reset the alarm system by entering the code via the keypad. Follow the steps listed below.
- Find the ADT reset code. This code can be found on the keypad’s manual or in any paperwork that the installer left to you when the installation job was done.
- Carefully enter the reset code via the keypad and wait until the alarm system reboots.
- Once the system is back on, enter the security code to arm the alarm (so this is the code that only you are supposed to know).
- Disarm the alarm.
To further explain it, by using the reset code to reset the ADT panel and then arming or disarming the system we ensure that the system is working properly. Then, it’s up to you if you need to keep the alarm armed or disarmed.
A few things to consider:
It’s necessary to locate the reset code that comes with the ADT system. Check the manual or any paperwork. Without this code, nothing can be done.
If you have entered the wrong security code (to disarm the alarm), the alarm system will notify the central ADT station and you may get a call from them to verify what’s going on.
You have to answer the phone from them and carefully explain the situation, if not, the central station will consider the case as “break-in” and the police will be notified. Once that situation has passed, you may press the “#” and start the process from the beginning.
How to Factory Reset the ADT Alarm System
If you have completely forgotten or misplaced your user passcode then you need to factory reset the whole panel. Or let’s say you moved into a home with an existing ADT panel and you need to fully access the alarm system.
To factory reset an ADT alarm system, it is recommended to contact ADT and have them send out a technician for on-site support. However, you can try to perform a factory reset on the alarm panel by following the steps below:
- Cut off the power to the panel and then remove the backplate to access the battery. If the battery is connected to the keypad, a technician needs to perform the reset.
- Disconnect the battery and locate the red, black, and white wires connected to the motherboard. Remove these wires without detaching them from the motherboard.
- Wait 60 seconds and then reverse the steps (attach the wires again).
If this doesn’t reset your alarm system to factory status, your only other choice is to contact ADT.
Reset the ADT User Access Code
To reset the user access code of your ADT alarm system you need to know the master code. Follow the steps below.
- Press the star key followed by the number “5”. Then enter the master code via the keypad.
- Enter the code number of the user. This is the two-digit number that represents the user, each user has a two-digit number that identifies it on the panel and it’s usually a number from 01 to 32.
- Enter a new code. You may need to press the pound key to finish.
Once done, enter the new user access to see it works. Basically, that’s it. Now you have reset the user access code. This is a code that other people may use to access your alarm system.
How to Reset Popular ADT Alarm Systems
As we mentioned earlier, ADT sells various alarm systems and their reset procedure depends on the model or make. One thing in common is that all these systems are based on a personal passcode.
This code is necessary to stop a false alarm and to reset the alarm. Below we’ve collected the reset procedure for popular ADT alarm systems:
- ADT Command Smart Security Panel: This touchscreen ADT variant has several false alarms and can be disabled by a shield icon with an “x” in the center followed by your passcode.
- DSC ADT Impassa: You can reset it just by entering the password. If the system is in “sleep” mode, type any key on the keypad and then enter your passcode.
- Honeywell Ademco Vista Series: Enter your passcode, followed by the “OFF” or “1” button.
In this guide, we explained how to reset an ADT alarm system. There are various ADT panel models that require specific reset procedures, but for most of them, the one shown above is still valid.
If you still can’t reset the alarm system, then it might be a good idea to contact the ADT support center or the installer who did the job. Make sure you have the master password ready and all the required paperwork to prove your identity.