Offering up to 100 meters (330 ft) data and power transmission over a single Ethernet cable, PoE technology has been widely adopted into today’s IP video surveillance system. Currently, most of PoE products comply IEEE802.3af & IEEE802.3at standards. IEEE802.3af is the first PoE standard which provides up maximum 15.4W power to the powered devices, IEEE802.3at or PoE plus (PoE+) standard has doubled the power to 30 W. However, some specific applications require power supply to be higher than 30W, so some companies released nonstandard PoE system that can deliver 60 W power to powered devices. According to Cisco and Texas Instruments, instead of using two pairs, the 60W higher power PoE requires power transmission over all four pairs.
The 60W PoE greatly expands the deployment of Power over Ethernet in IP video surveillance systems, especially many IP PTZ cameras require power supply to be higher than 50W. In the past, IP PTZ cameras used the 24VAC/12VDC power supply because the standard PoE weren’t able deliver up to 50W of power. Furthermore, security cameras are typically installed outdoors for 24-hours operation, and in order to withstand harsh conditions such as extreme heat and cold temperatures, most of them have heater and fan built-in, which greatly increased the total power consumption of network cameras.
In addition to use 60W PoE switches, users also can choose high power PoE injector, midspan to achieve Power over Ethernet. These 60W PoE systems are the one you should use to power up PTZ cameras via Ethernet cable. Make sure your PTZ camera supports PoE, some old PTZ are not PoE compatible. Use proper rated outdoor cable.
Recommended PoE switches for PTZ cameras
1. BV-Tech 6 Port PoE + Switch. (4 PoE+ Ports with 2 Ethernet Uplink and Extend Function) – 60W – 802.3at + 1 High Power PoE Port.
2. Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 60W (US-8-60W). Non-Blocking Throughput The new 8-port models feature Gigabit Ethernet ports in a compact form factor. For its total, non-blocking throughput, each UniFi Switch supports up to 8 Gbps.
3. UniFi US-8-60W 8-Port Gigabit PoE Compliant Managed Switch. The UniFi Switch offers the forwarding capacity to simultaneously process traffic on all ports at line rate without any packet loss, with a switching capacity of 16 Gbps.
4. TRENDnet 6-Port Fast Ethernet PoE+ Switch. TPE-S50, 4 x Fast Ethernet PoE+ Ports, 2 x Fast Ethernet Ports, 60W PoE Budget, 1.2 Gbps Switch Capacity, Ethernet Network Switch, Metal, Lifetime Protection.
5. TRENDnet Gigabit Ultra PoE+ Injector. Full Duplex Gigabit Speeds, 100 M Network Range, Supports IEEE 802.3af/802.at/Ultra PoE, Plug & Play, TPE-117GI. Converts a non-PoE gigabit port to an Ultra PoE gigabit port. Supplies PoE (15.4W), PoE+ (30W) or Ultra PoE power (60W).