If you have forgotten or lost the password of your Samsung DVR, you can try to reset the password to factory default. The reset process on Samsung CCTV devices depends on the model and year of make.
Most of the time, resetting the password on a Samsung DVR involves using the remote control and following the set of steps. However, before you start, try the default password just to make sure that you have indeed changed the password. Try username/password: root/admin; admin/111111 or admin/4321.
In this guide, we will show a few methods how to reset Samsung DVRs. The success depends on the model number and the type of DVR. If one method doesn’t work, jump to the next one and so on until you are able to recover the password.
Reset Samsung SRD DVR models
The password method shown below works for the DVR models that start with SRD-XXX such as SR-450, SRD-850, SRD-1650, SRD-1645D, SDR-5102N, SDR-4101, SDR-3300N, SDR-5102, SDR-C75300N, SDR-B3300N, SDR-B73300, SDR-C5300N, SDR-C5300N, SDR-C5300N/US.
The password reset steps for a Samsung DVR:
- Turn on the DVR and have it connected to a monitor/TV
- Using the remote control, please press the DVR button (or Return if your DVR remote has no DVR button).
- Rapidly press Freeze > Alarm > Freeze > Alarm > Freeze > Return. Once entered at an average pace the DVR will ask you if you want to load the factory settings.
- Select ok and all factory settings will be loaded.
On some models, the reset will erase the footage. However, on most DVR models, the footage will not be affected, all settings will go to default but the recordings will still be there.
Make sure to press the above sequence fast enough, if you’re slower the DVR doesn’t enter in the password reset mode. If you fail the first time, try again until you get it right. The picture below shows the buttons that need to be pressed.
If that didn’t work, try these steps:
- Press the DVR button to place the system in DVR Mode.
- Press Freeze > View >Return.
As with the previous procedure, you may need to press Freeze, View, and Return in quick succession a few times to get it to work. The timing can be tricky.
No remote control: Reset by removing the motherboard’s clock
Another way to reset the Samsung DVR (it doesn’t work on all models) consists of removing the power cord from the back of the DVR then opening up the unit.
Locate the clock battery on the mainboard, usually, it comes in a round shape. Remove it from the mainboard, wait 2 hours, put it back in, close it up and connect the power back
Turn on the DVR and see if the reset was done. If so, the unit will go back to factory default settings and you can use the original password to login. All recordings will be erased from the recorder. It will be reset to factory default and all the footage will be erased.
Reset via the front panel
It doesn’t work for all the recorders, but you can try it out just in case. Inspect the front panel of your DVR and locate the buttons on it. Press MODE + PTZ together for 5 seconds and then enter the 4321. If it goes through, the DVR should reboot.
Once it comes back on, the old password will be erased and the unit is on factory settings. Go through the prompts and log in using the default password. All the footage will be erased.
If that didn’t work, try the following sequential steps:
- On the front panel of your DVR, press both MODE and CH2 buttons for 5 seconds
- Then enter 4321. Follow the prompts and check if the unit was reset.
Reset procedure for Android based Samsung DVRs
This reset will work on Android based DVRs only. All steps are performed on the device itself and are shown below.
- Turn the device Off.
- Wait 2 minutes.
- Press and hold the following buttons: POWER, HOME, VOLUME UP.
- The unit should power on. Once it does, you can release power.
- Use the volume UP and Down buttons to select “Wipe/Factory Reset” from the recovery menu.
- Activate the reset using the HOME button.
When the DVR goes through it’s setup again, it will be at factory defaults. The password will be 4321.
How to factory reset the SDR-B74301
To factory reset the SDR-B74301:
- Reboot the DVR
- Once the DVR has rebooted, enter the following sequence on the remote: UP, RIGHT, 5, 3, 3
- You will be prompted to do a factory reset. Confirm the action.
This has been confirmed to work by several people. It’s worth trying it.
As we mentioned, this reset information doesn’t apply to all Samsung recorders, either method could work or not at all. If after trying both ways you are still unable to login to the unit, consider returning it to the supplier or seller (Hanwha Techwin).
They will then forward it to Samsung’s service center, which can reset it via a master password. Additionally, you may contact the seller/dealer or the original installer for further remote assistance.