Sometimes you need to know whether the security is turned on. What do security cameras look like? More and more cameras, especially those hidden ones are designed to blend in with the environment and home décor seamlessly. How to check if a store CCTV IP security camera is on or off? How to know if a camera is watching you? This article will demonstrate 6 simple ways to investigate if the CCTV security camera is on.
1. Observe whether the security camera is following you to see if it is on. If you install a pan tilt type security camera (so called PTZ cameras) , you can see this type of security cameras will rotate continuously when it’s on, and you would hear a distinct buzz when it’s rotating. If you have set up the patrol/tour function of the pan tilt IP camera, you can see it moving constantly so you will know if the CCTV camera is recording.
2. Check the status of the LEDs in the IP security cameras. If it’s an infrared IP security camera (most likely it is), you will be able to see small red lights around the lens of the security camera in the dark, when this security camera is on. It’s also a quick way to tell if a security camera has night vision. You can use a book or your palms to block the light falling on your security camera. If you see the lights turn red, it means that the security camera is on.
3. Log in to your security camera software to check whether you can view the live streaming. Thus you can check if your security camera is on or working. For example, you can turn on your monitor to see whether your IP security camera is recording. If the footage is showing up correctly, the IP security camera is on. If not, it would be either the cable or the camera issue.
4. Use electronic bug detectors. CCTV security cameras would produce what is called a balanced signal when they are on or in working status. A balanced signal is a video signal that has been converted for transmission along a medium other than coaxial cable. It’s also a pretty easy way to detect hidden cameras, or check if there are surveillance cameras are around.
CCTV IP security cameras (systems) would transmit higher energy radiation in their specified range. Thus you can use the electronic bug detectors to figure out the status of the IP security cameras.
5. You can tell if the CCTV camera is on by the power indicator. Some IP cameras or wireless IP cameras have a status LED, so you can easily tell whether the camera is working or connected to WiFi properly.
6. Identify whether the security camera is real or fake. If it’s a fake security camera, it will never be on. This article has a few tips on how to tell if it’s real or fake security camera.