In this guide we will show how to add a Swann DVR or NVR to the SwannView Link app using the recorder’s UID (unique ID). This UID can be entered manually or by scanning the QR code. Once you’ve added the device, you can see the cameras live or playback via your phone SwannView Link app.
You need to follow these steps to add the a Swann DVR or NVR to your phone:
- Install SwannView Link in your phone
- Change the stream settings on your DVR or NVR
- Get the DVR’s network information
- Add the DVR or NVR to SwannView Link app
How to add a Swann DVR or NVR on SwannView Link app
Install SwannView Link in your phone
You need the SwannView Link app to view your cameras on the phone. To download the app, go to Google’s Play Store or Apple’s App Store and search for SwannView Link. Install it and run it on your phone.
Change the stream settings on your DVR or NVR
For smooth live streaming, it is highly suggested to use Substream when playing the videos. You will also need to adjust the substream’s bitrate to an appropriate level for the unit not to consume too much bandwidth. The bit rate depends on your internet’s speed for both the phone and the location where your security system is installed.
- Go to Menu then proceed to Record > Encode.
- Choose a channel on Camera No.
- Change the Encoding Parameters to Substream.
- Set the Max. BitRate (Kbps) to an appropriate bitrate. The better quality, the higher the bitrate and more slower on the phone. The lower bitrate, the worse the picture quality but it’s smoother on the phone. Find the right balance for your setup.
- Click Copy To to replicate the settings to all channels. A window will pop up. Select all boxes (make them white) to select all channels. Click on OK.
- Click on Apply to save the settings.
Get the DVR’s network information
- Access the Menu and go to Network > General.
- Make sure that Network Access is on DHCP. If it is not, choose DHCP then click on Apply.
- You can write the UID code to have your own copy in case you’re away from the unit. The number in the yellow box is the unique ID for your Swann recorder and you’ll need to use that when adding the DVR on the phone app.
Add the DVR or NVR to SwannView Link app
If your mobile device is connected to the same router or modem where your recorder is, then opening the SwannView Link app may show a similar page like the image below which means the DVR or NVR was detected right away. If it did, please follow the steps below but if it is blank, please read the “Adding the device manually” section.
Modify the Password.
- Tap on the DVR icon. This window will show up.
- Tap the second textbox and enter the Password based on what you have set on your recorder (so, the DVR’s password).
- Tap the OK button to save it.
- After a short time, you will then see your cameras online.
Adding the device manually
- Tap the Add New Device icon.
- Input the information it needs.
– Device Name: Any name such as “My Home”.
– Connect Mode: UID
– UID: Tap the QR code and scan the QR code on top of your recorder; you can also manually type it but make sure letters are on uppercase. This the DVR’s unique ID.
– User Name: admin
– Password: your recorder’s password.
- Tap the Save icon placed at the top-right to save the settings.
- Tap on Start Live View to save the settings and quickly load the cameras. If you got any error message, try rebooting the DVR or NVR and your router or modem.Close the app and open it again.