Connections exposed to weather, humid or dusty environments require weatherproofing. Failure to weatherproof (waterproof) the connections can ultimately lead to camera failure and possibly irreversible damage.
Almost all CCTV security cameras come with a provided solution for waterproofing the connection (the so-called waterproof connector).
We need to emphasize again, that it’s very important to weatherproof your IP camera’s connection in order to make your security system reliable.
Weatherproofing the camera connection
1. In order to waterproof a CCTV connection you need the following supplies:
- Cable crimping tools and materials
- IP Camera
- Waterproof connector
2. Most of the CCTV security cameras come with a waterproof connector provided by the manufacturer. In this example, we will use a Hikvision camera, however, it doesn’t matter that much.
The waterproof connector is similar across all CCTV manufacturers. Locate the waterproof connector and make sure you have all the parts.
a. Compression Cap
b. Compression Gasket
c. Compression Body
3. Place the following components on the cable before you crimp the RJ45 connector on, they should be put on the wire in this order:
- a. Compression Cap
- b. Compression Gasket
- c. Compression Body
4. Put the O-ring onto the female RJ45 connector coming from the camera.
5. Plug the male RJ45 end into the female RJ45 connector coming from of the camera.
6. Make sure the connection is good,and the camera comes online, if not, redo the connection.
7. Grab the compression body and screw it onto the female RJ45 camera connection.
8. Turn the compression cap onto the compression body until the Compression gasket has made a secure seal around the cable.
Once done, inspect all seals and connections made. The connector is designed to prevent the ingress of water, dust and prevent corrosion.
What about the cameras that come without a waterproof connector?
As we mentioned before, most of the CCTV manufacturers provide a waterproof connector for the camera.
If that’s not the case or for some reason, your CCTV security camera has no weatherproofing connector then you can contact your reseller to get one.
Or if you lost it, you can order it on Amazon (for example this product works great for RJ45 connections). Either way, you have to waterproof your CCTV connections.