Google Assistant allows you to control your Wyze Cam across multiple device types. This includes voice-activated speakers (Google Home Mini, Google Smart Home Hub) Android phones, iPhones, cars with Android Auto, Android TV, and other third-party Assistant built-in hardware.
You can also stream your Wyze Cams through your Google Home Hub, Smart device with built-in Chromecast, or even a standard screen with a Chromecast dongle. Controlling your cameras via Google Assistant is the first step in getting in touch with the world of home automation.
This gives you a lot of control and integration with your Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan. Currently, the Google Assistant integration does not support camera streaming into the Google Home App.
The Wyze integration with Google Assistant is available worldwide but is currently only supported in the USA. Note that your success may vary if using the Wyze integration outside of the USA.
What is Google Assistant?
Google Assistant is a cloud-based voice service from Google. It’s connected to the Google Home app, allowing you to easily and quickly manage all of your smart home devices.
Interacting with your Wyze Cam through Google Assistant is as simple as asking a question. Just ask and Google Assistant will respond instantly.
How to use Wyze cams with Google Assistant
Wyze Cam is able to be integrated with Google Assistant’s voice controls. Once set up, you can tell Google Assistant to show your camera’s Live Stream on any Chromecast-enabled device. The Wyze integration with Google Assistant is currently only available in the USA.
What data does Google Assistant have access to?
Using Wyze with Google Assistant will give Google access to your camera name and the live stream video that is displayed on the screen of the Google Assistant device.
The page used to authorize the Wyze integration is owned by Wyze, meaning that your password and account information is not shared with Google.
The Event Videos triggered by motion or sound detection are stored on the Amazon AWS cloud and are only viewable through the Wyze app.
How to connect Google Assistant to your Wyze cam
Step 1. Set up your camera with your Wyze app and name your camera.
Step 2. Update your camera’s firmware to the latest version (always make sure that your cameras are up-to-date). To do so, access your camera’s live stream from the Wyze app, tap the icon in the top right to access the Camera Settings > Device Info > Update firmware.
Step 3. Download and configure the Home app by Google.
Step 4. Launch the Home app, then tap Add.
Step 5. Tap Set up device. Tap Works with Google.
Step 6. Find the Wyze Home listing and log in with your Wyze account. Google Assistant will automatically sync a list of the devices from your Wyze account. Click here for more information about setting up Google Assistant with a Wyze Cam.
There is no way to remove specific cameras from Google Assistant without deleting them from your Wyze account. Google Assistant will regularly resync, and the camera will be removed.
How to use commands
Once your Wyze account is connected to Google Assistant, you can use the following voice commands to view and hide the camera’s live stream.
Say any of the following to view your camera’s live stream:
- “OK Google, show me [camera name] on [casting device name]”
- “OK Google, show my [camera name] on [casting device name]”
- “OK Google, show the [camera name] on [casting device name]”
- “OK Google, show [camera name] on [casting device name]”
Note: You can substitute “OK Google” with “Hey Google”.
Say the following to stop viewing your camera’s live stream:
- “OK Google, stop”
Say the following to determine the state of your camera:
- “OK Google, is [camera name] on?”
Say the following to turn on your camera:
- “OK Google, turn on [camera name]”
Keep in mind
- The Wyze integration only works with Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan.
- The Wyze integration only works on Google Nest Home Hub or Chromecast-enabled devices. The skill won’t work on any devices that don’t have video capabilities, such as the Google Home Mini.
- The Wyze integration works with all cameras that are connected to your Wyze account, including cameras shared by other Wyze users.
- The Wyze integration does not support 2-Way Audio or pan/tilt/zoom capabilities at this time.
- The camera’s live stream will be displayed on your device for 10 minutes before it automatically stops. To continue streaming, repeat the voice command.
- Assign your camera an easily pronounceable name, such as “Garage” or “Living Room.”
- If your camera is turned off, Google Assistant won’t be able to access the live stream. You’ll need to open the Wyze app on your phone and turn on your camera before giving a voice command to Google Assistant.
- The technology currently in use has high latency.