Zmodo doorbell uses three different kinds of colors to relay various information regarding the function of the unit. These colors (red, blue, and green) indicate different things depending on if they are solid, blinking or even turned off.
If your Zmodo doorbell is blinking green, it means that your doorbell is ready for setup. At this point, the doorbell will not send out any notifications or recordings to your phone. It just tells you that the unit needs to be set up. So, if it’s blinking green, the doorbell is not recording or connecting to the phone.
You need to link the Zmodo doorbell to your phone using the Zmodo app, it’s easy just follow the steps. Once linked, the doorbell will be connected to the internet where you can get notifications, view the live view, or recordings.
Zmodo Doorbell Light Indicator Meanings
Zmodo doorbells have 5 five-colored status indicators and their meanings are as follow:
- Solid green: It means that the device is powering on. If this light is not on, then you have to check the power adapter and ensure that it’s sending power.
- Solid blue: This one means that your doorbell has successfully connected to the internet and to the app (when added). Now the unit can send out notifications and record videos.
- Solid red: If you see this one, it means that the doorbell is powered on, but is not able to connect to the internet. Usually, there are two reasons for this issue. First, it may be because you entered the incorrect WiFi username or password on the phone app. Second, maybe your internet is not working at all (check if the WiFi/internet has a signal).
- Blinking blue: It means that your doorbell is trying to connect to the internet. Do not unplug or turn off the device, wait until it turns solid blue.
- Blinking green: This one just means that your doorbell is ready for setup.
How to Set Up the Zmodo Doorbell on the Phone?
Zmodo doorbell is easy to set up, all you have to do is follow the procedure. Once the camera is unboxed, mount it on the wall in its final position and power it on. When you see the blinking green indicator (which means ready to set up), you need to go through the following steps:
- Download the Zmodo app on Apple Store (for iPhone/iPad users) or Google Play Store (for Android).
- Create an account by entering a username and a strong password. Follow the prompts provided by the app.
- Add your device to the app. Tap the small plus sign on the bottom of the screen to add a new device. Follow the prompts and enter any required information such as your WiFi credentials, router’s address, etc. It’s pretty logical to follow.
Once done, you should see the solid blue on the doorbell which indicates that the camera is linked successfully and everything is good to go.
However, if you don’t see this light, it means that something went wrong. Follow the next section for some basic troubleshooting suggestions (or you can straight call the seller/Zmodo for technical assistance.
Zmodo Doorbell Troubleshooting Tips
There are a few reasons why the Zmodo doorbell can’t connect to the internet or is not able to maintain a steady
The doorbell keeps disconnecting
First of all, make sure that the doorbell is within your WiFi’s range. If the doorbell and the WiFi router are too far away, then the connection will be unstable. It will connect, randomly disconnect, and so on.
You can try to move the access point closer to the doorbell and see if that’s the issue. Also, you can either get a WiFi extender or get a new WiFi router with larger coverage. It’s better if you just use an extender and increase the signal’s area.
The doorbell is not connecting to the internet
If the internet actually works, but the doorbell is not able to connect, then open the Zmodo app and log into your account. Try the following:
- Re-enter your login credentials (username and password). Both of them are case-sensitive, type slowly and double-check it.
- Reboot the router. Power cycle the router and see if the connection is established. So, turn it off for 60 seconds and then turn it on.
- Reboot the Zmodo doorbell. It won’t hurt if you restart your doorbell. Detach it from the wall or the mounting spot, find the little hole at the bottom, and insert a small paperclip or toothpick in it for 15 seconds. The unit will reboot and you should see the blinking green light which indicates that the camera is ready to be added to the phone app.
- Update the phone app and the unit itself.
If you think that there are some hardware issues with the unit, then ask Zmodo to warranty it and they’ll send out a new one. Although, it’s a bit rare for a new unit to be broken out of the box.
The Zmodo doorbell color indicators denote the camera’s connectivity, power, recording status, etc, as explained above. Blinking green just means that the camera is ready for setup. Install the app on the phone and go through the prompts.
If you’re not able to make the camera operational, try to troubleshoot it mainly by checking the internet connection. Lastly, you may contact the Zmodo technical team for further assistance.