Dahua Technology is a Chinese company that specializes in the manufacturing and distribution of security and surveillance equipment, including CCTV cameras, digital video recorders (DVRs), network video recorders (NVRs), and other related products.
Dahua CCTV cameras and DVRs are used for a wide range of applications, such as home and business security, traffic monitoring, and industrial automation.
The company is known for its high-quality products and advanced features, such as high-definition video, night vision, and remote access capabilities. Dahua CCTV systems are widely used in many countries around the world and have a good reputation in the industry.
Many companies resell Dahua OEM security products under their own brand names. While these devices may look like a separate brand, actually under the hood is simply Dahua, but renamed in another brand name and model number. Sometimes the OEM version doesn’t contain any brand at all.
One of the best things about Dahua security systems is the convenience and ability to monitor your devices via an app on your phone, tablet, computer, etc. There are many apps that serve different purposes and in this list, we will show the best (and recommended) phone/tablet apps for Dahua cameras and devices.
Best App for Dahua cameras and devices
DMSS allows the user to view the cameras on iPhone or Android-based phones. You can also review the recordings, back up the footage, take snapshots, control the PTZ cameras, slow-motion playback, etc.
The app also allows you to manage several locations simultaneously (multi-DVRs or NVRs). Additionally, you set the system to get notifications and alerts based on motion detection, intrusion, or other smart features.
All you have to do is configure the app and add the system’s parameters in the settings (this is shown in the next section).
The main requirement for this app is that your phone’s WiFi or mobile data must be enabled, and that the NVR/DVR or standalone cameras are connected/exposed to the internet. This app is user-friendly and very logical to set up.
DMSS Main Features
- Live View: Users can see the cameras in real-time and view multiple cameras at once.
- Playback: Users can access recorded footage and play it back remotely.
- Two-way audio: Users can communicate with people in the location through the built-in microphone and speakers using the phone.
- PTZ control: Remotely control the Pan-Tilt-Zoom (PTZ) functionality of cameras.
- Push notifications: Users can receive notifications when motion is detected by the camera, and alerts for other smart functions.
- Digital Zoom: Users can zoom in and out of live view and playback video.
- Remote Configuration: Users can remotely configure the settings and other adjustments.
- Remote access: Users can access their systems remotely, as long as they have an internet connection.
How to install DMSS
Installation is easy and you have to remember that DMSS is for iPhones or Android phones. To install the app on your smartphone, follow these steps:
- Open the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) on your mobile device.
- Search for “DMSS” in the store.
- Select the app developed by “Hangzhou Ivideon”
- Click “Install” or “Get” to begin the installation process.
- Once the installation is complete, open the app and add your security camera system to the app (you can do this by scanning the QR code on the system’s interface, IP address, or even hostname). You also need to use the credentials of the camera/NVR/DVR.
Make sure your camera is properly set up and connected to the internet before attempting to access it through the DMSS app.
How to use DMSS
DMSS works the same way since they are essentially the same app. First of all, you need to have a security camera system (DVR, NVR, or standalone cameras) in your location and then you can add this system to the phone app.
The steps below show how to add the system:
- Launch the DMSS app
- On the home screen, camera, door, alarm, and other options are displayed
- Tapon the Camera tab and then on the Menu tab
- In the menu, you need to choose the “Device Manager” option
- Click on the “+” symbol to add a device (which can be a single camera, or DVR/NVR)
- Select the wired device in this wizard
- Enter the device name (such as “my home”, “store” etc.)
- Then you need to scan the QR code. For this, you need to press the “SN” tab
- When you click the “SN” tap, it will provide a QR code to the scanner. Scan it with your device
- Add the username and password of the system.
- Once the process is complete, you can watch the preview by clicking “Start Live Preview”.
DMSS Plus (app for smartphone and tablet)
DMSS Plus offers you the same functionalities as the Lite version, here are some differences between the two apps:
Features: DMSS Plus has more features than DMSS. DMSS Plus has advanced features such as advanced push notifications, and streamlined remote playback, while DMSS Lite is a more basic app with fewer features.
Compatibility: DMSS Plus is compatible with more devices than DMSS and works smoother when installed on tablets (iPads, or Android ones).
User interface: DMSS Plus has a more advanced user interface than DMSS. DMSS Plus has a more polished look and feels and more advanced navigation, while DMSS has a more basic interface.
Smart PSS (camera management software)
Smart PSS (Smart Professional Surveillance System) is a software application that allows users to manage and control their surveillance cameras, DVRs, and NVRs through their computers.
So, instead of using phones or tablets, you can install this software in your computer/laptop and manage all the cameras remotely (or locally).
With Smart PSS, users can remotely access and control their surveillance cameras, view live video feeds, and play back recorded footage. The software also allows users to set up alarms, receive notifications, and control PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) cameras.
The software also allows for multi-site management, users can manage multiple sites from one location and also provide remote access to authorized personnel. For more detailed instructions on how to install and use Smart PSS, check this article here.
ConfigTool is a scanning tool that allows users to discover, configure, and manage Dahua devices on their network.
The software can automatically detect Dahua devices connected to the same network and display them in a list. Users can then select a device and access its settings and configurations, such as IP address, username and password, and video settings.
ConfigTool also allows users to update the firmware of Dahua devices, and to backup and restore device configurations. For more details, check here.
When exporting a video from a Dahua recorder or camera, the file format can be “.dav” type. This file type is a proprietary format created by Dahua and requires a specific reader/player to be able to play them: Smart Player.
The player allows users to view video files, including live video, and playback recorded video with a variety of playback modes and controls.
The software also allows users to search for specific footage based on time and date, and to export footage to a USB drive or other storage device.
In this quick guide, we introduced the recommended phone apps and software for Dahua devices. These apps are made by Dahua and will work with your system regardless if you’re using Dahua logo or OEM (re-branded versions).
Always download from the official source, and follow the instructions provided to complete the setup and connect it to your device.