The Ring keypad displays color-coded notifications that indicate different things and alerts that the user needs to pay attention to. The keypad is rechargeable and the panel may show a blinking green light. What is the green flashing light?
The Ring keypad will flash green light when the unit is charging its battery. When the battery is full, it will show a solid green color.
However, in some models, the light will turn off when the battery is fully charged. Generally speaking, a Ring keypad uses a battery that lasts for a few months.
In this guide, we will talk about the Ring’s keypad battery, what color-coded notifications mean, how to know when the battery is low and how to avoid an expired battery. Additionally, we will explain what other colors mean.
My Ring Keypad is Flashing Green Battery Light
Ring provides affordable security systems that are easy to install and work pretty well. The Ring Keypad allows the user to have a movable panel that can be moved around similar to a remote controller.
While many systems use stationary keypads, Ring’s keypad works on battery and can be transported anywhere in the house. Many users place it by the bedside to easily control and adjust the system from the comfort of their bed.
The Ring keypad is equipped with colored indicator lights that inform the user when the unit is connected, or disconnected, when batteries are low or expired when there’s no signal, etc.
If you see a flashing green light, it means that the device is charging. By knowing this information, you’ll be able to rule out battery issues if the device is having connectivity issues.
When the battery is fully charged, the flashing light will turn into a solid green light. In certain models, instead of turning solid green, it will turn off completely. So if you see a solid green light, or no light at all (and the battery icon), it indicates that the unit’s battery is fully charged.
The Ring keypad battery lasts relatively long, usually 6-9 months on a single charge. However, the longevity depends on the usage factors and if the battery saves mode is turned on. Still, you probably need to charge the battery twice a year.
What do color indication lights on a Ring keypad mean
Below we’ve listed the common colored light notifications on Ring keypads and what these mean. Some color indicators vary depending on the unit’s model.
- Solid green or no light indicates that the battery is over 30% charged and there’s no need to recharge by the user.
- Solid yellow light indicates that the unit’s battery is low, usually 10% to 30% remaining power.
- Solid red light means that the battery is low (less than 10% remaining power). If you see such notifications, you need to charge the unit as soon as possible to avoid any downtime.
- A blinking green light means that the keypad is getting charged.
Note: You can set the keypad on battery saver mode which will extend the lifespan for a few more months.
How to use Ring Keypad Battery Saver Mode
The battery-saver mode on the Ring keypad is a useful feature that allows the user to extend the lifespan of the battery. By doing so, you should recharge the keypad’s battery just once or twice a year.
There are two battery save mode options: Power Save On and Power Save Off.
- When the Power Save On option is enabled, the button will light up only when you press them, otherwise, it will be off. This saves battery in the long run.
- When the Power Save Off option is enabled, the button will light up anytime the motion is detected. For example, when it is dark the lights will be on, which consumes more energy and the battery will last less.
How to turn on the Power Save Mode
Without the power saver mode enabled, the battery on the keypad will last 5 months; using the power save mode it lasts 9 to 11 months. To turn on power save, follow the steps listed below:
- Install and run the Ring app on your phone.
- Tap Devices in the upper left corner.
- Select Keypad from the listed devices.
- You should see the Power Save Mode option. Toggle it ON or OFF.
- If you turn it ON, the feature will deactivate the keypad motion sensors.
The Ring keypad shows various colored indicators that denote different states and alerts for your security system. If you see the battery light flashing green, it means that the unit is charging.
Once the device is fully charged, the light will turn solid green, or turn off completely (in some models). Other color indications will let the user know when the battery is low and when you should charge it. If the battery light turns red, it means you need to recharge it as soon as possible.