When you are trying to have access to a Hikvision IP camera or DVR/NVR you’ll stumble upon the message: “Please click here to download and install the plug-in. Close the browser when installing the plugin”. This plugin needs to be installed in order to view your Hikvision CCTV system.
The issue is that even if you install the plugin the message will still show up and bother you every time you need to access your Hikvision IP camera/NVR/DVR.
The plugin is installed but looks like something went wrong because the message keeps asking to install the plug-in again and again: “close the browser when installing the plug-in”.
This issue plug-in with the Hikvision DVRs, NVRs, and IP cameras is related to the compatibility mode on Internet Explorer (IE). All you have to do is to configure IE and the error will go away.
If you have an issue with certain browsers, take a look at the links below as well.
- How to view Hikvision cameras or NVR on Firefox
- How to view Hikvision cameras or NVR on Google Chrome
- How to view Hikvision cameras on Safari (with web plugin)
How to fix: “Please click here to download and install the plug-in”
The web component plugin is used by the Hikvsion to show the live image of the cameras and to playback as well.
If you don’t install it correctly, you can see the cameras (image fail) and you can’t playback either. Other functions may be disabled such as when you save the settings, they’ll not be applied.
Step 1. Go to the Tools section of the IE and click Compatibility View Settings. (If you don’t see the Tools tab on the top, click the ALT key on the keyboard and it will show up).
Step 2. On the next window the recorder’s IP address (or the ddns) and click Add. The same procedure is if you have an IP camera or an NVR.
Step 3. Go again to the Tools tab and this time click Internet Options. Step 4. Open up the Security Tab and click on Trusted sites.
Step 5. Type the IP address of the device and click Add. Make sure the “Require server verification” box is unchecked.
When these two steps are completed the aforementioned issue will be solved permanently. Next time you open up Internet Explorer and try to see the cameras, you won’t see the annoying message “Please click here to download and install the plug-in”.
If for some reason you’re asked again to install the plugin, do the following:
- Restart your laptop or computer
- Update the firmware on the recorder (NVR, DVR) or the IP camera. Some Hikvison units run an updated firmware that doesn’t allow the plug-in to be installed correctly.
- Uninstall any remnant Hikvision plugins you may have installed previously. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program and remove from the application list the one called “webcomponents”. That’s the name for the Hikvsion plugin. Have it uninstalled and go through the previous steps to install the plugin again.