This is a common issue on Swann DVRs: the DVR reboots by itself randomly or the machine fails to boot at all (doesn’t turn on).
Sometimes you may see the loading screen with the Swann logo but after 1-2 minutes the DVR reboots again and then starts over from the beginning. In this article, we will show how to diagnose and fix the Swann boot failure issues.
Technically, your Swann DVR may have boot failure issues if any of the following happens:
- LED lights are OFF at the top or front of the DVR.
- LED lights are ON and the Swann loading page shows up but reboots after.
How to fix Swann boot or rebooting issues
To isolate the issue, consider following the steps below:
- Check the red tag on the power supply cord. Most of the power adapters that come with the Swann DVR have a red sticker along the power cable. Make sure it’s labeled for use for your DVR (you should see the DVR/NVR power supply).
- Check the power adapter and its output rating. Check the sticker attached to it and look for the output rating. Most Swann DVR use 12V 2A/2000mA power adapters.
- Sometimes the power supply outputs less power and brings the DVR into a booting loop. In these cases, you need to buy a new one.
- Plug to a wall outlet. This is done in order to eliminate the possibility of a faulty extension cable or UPS.
- Unplug the cameras. If you have an Ethernet cable or cameras already connected, disconnect them for testing purposes. Only leave the power plug and the monitor connected. Try again and see if the Swann DVR boots up properly.
- Secure connection. Make sure that the power plug is connected properly to the DVR and not loose.
- Turn on the DVR via the switch. Some units may have a power switch at the back; ensure that is switched ON. Many users forget to turn it on and the machine can’t be powered on.
If you are done doing these steps and the issue remains, get the camera’s power adapter and check its output rating.
Also, try to plug the adapter into a different outlet instead. Once the LEDs are ON and the Swann loading page only showed once but still not getting the DVR’s Menu interface, consider reading this article for further troubleshooting: How to fix Video Loss in security cameras or security systems.