It’s a common issue for a Zosi DVR or NVR not to recognize or detect the hard drive that you just installed in it. You need to address this issue as soon as possible otherwise your Zosi security camera system won’t be able to record any footage. There are many reasons that can cause the Zosi DVR or NVR not to detect the hard drive such: cabling problem, power issue and simply a bad hard drive.
Before you start to diagnose the issue, make sure you have purchased a surveillance hard drive for your security system. These types of hard drive are rated for surveillance systems and are designed specially for DVRs and NVRs. Don’t use a regular desktop hard drive.
Hard drive not detected by the Zosi DVR or NVR
Follow the tips below to fix the issue.
- Try another power supply on the DVR or NVR. Use a 12V power supply and make sure the power outlet works correctly. In many cases, sub par power supplies are not able to power up the motherboard and the hard drive together.
- Open up the top cover of the recorder and make sure the cabling is correct. There should be two cables going to the hard drive, one is the power cable and the other one is the data cable (SATA). Ensure that they’re fully plugged in and not loose.
- Connect the hard drive to another recorder or a computer to see if the hard drive works fine and gets powered. In a few cases, the hard drive may be damaged or simply doesn’t work. So, test it out if it works normally.
- Swap the hard drive with another to see if it works (for testing purposes, you can use desktop hard drive).
- Update the firmware on your Zosi recorder.