In this article we will explain how to reset the Amcrest DVR password. Follow these instructions if you lost or forgot the password of your Amcrest DVR and don’t know how to login as an admin.
The procedure is simple and can be executed in a few minutes. In this demonstration we will use the Amcrest 960H DVR model.
After the password reset procedure is done, the DVR will go back to the manufacturer’s default settings. After that you can use the original password.
How to reset password for Amcrest DVR
Open up your Amcrest 960H DVR and look up for a reset button located close to the processor (sometimes can be located on the right side). Check the picture below.
The password reset procedure for Amcrest DVR:
- Turn on the DVR.
- Press and hold the reset button until you hear a beep sound.
- Wait until you see the Setup Wizard on the screen.
- Create a new password for the admin account.
- Go through the Setup Wizard to finish the initial setup
Questions about the reset procedure
Are the recordings erased after the reset?
All data stored in the DVR is completely wiped out during the reset process. However, in the older versions of Amcrest DVRs there was a glitch in the software that made some of the data still available after the unit was reset.
Does this reset procedure work for any Amcrest DVR?
It works only for certain models. More exactly it works only for the recorders that work with analog cameras (not HD).
This reset procedure does not work with the Amcrest DVRs that use the HD-CVI cameras. If you need to reset an Amcrest HDCVI DVR, consult this article.
In many cases, there are unexpected issues while you try to reset the DVR. Below there are a few troubleshooting tips.
The screen shows blank after the Amcrest DVR reset
If you see a black (or white) screen or the “No Signal Found” message on the monitor after resetting your Amcrest DVR that means that there’s a problem with the connection between the DVR and your monitor (or TV).
Usually, once the reset goes through, the DVR will go to a default low resolution VGA output, and in many cases the monitors don’t support such low resolutions. The steps below can help solve this issue:
- Check the cable connection between the DVR and the monitor/TV to ensure that everything is okay. You can unplug it and plug it back.
- Make sure you are using the correct input on your monitor/TV. Use the remote control to switch between the sources (VGA, HDMI1, HDMI2 etc).
- Adjust the resolution of the monitor/TV. Try the lowest one they are able to support.
- Use a monitor that supports VGA connection.
The HDD is not formatted
If you want to erase all the information on the hard drive, go to the Storage settings and Init (initialize) the hard drive.
This operation will wipe out all the data from on the hard drive. Make sure you want to do this since all the data (videos) will be erased and you won’t have access to them anymore.